make my day :)

Thursday, February 4, 2010

the art of dodging...

It’s the month of February. The month of Chinese New Year, heavy rains and love for some people. As for me, I don’t really expect anything interesting to happen on Feb 14th….even when I was in a relationship with a pure romantic, we didn’t make a big deal out of it. Maybe it’s just because I don’t believe in building up expectations…what if he doesn’t remember? I’ll get upset. What if he remembers, but the things he does, doesn’t really impressed me or I just plainly don’t like it? Trouble. With the cost of flowers, chocolates, romantic dinners escalating on this particular day….nah…I couldn’t care much about V-day. Hari-hari lain pun boleh juga berkasih sayang apa. Tapi kalau ada orang rasa macam nak kasik bunga, sila kasik saya coklat Ferrero Rocher yang dah digubah jadi bouquet tu ok. Hihi.



Anyway, this year’s Feb 14th will be a bit different. We’ll have a celebration of love and I’m going back to Kuching for that. Not me la babe, but my younger sister (note:younger). She is getting engaged on that day. I’m really happy for her. Before I would have thought the feelings would be similar to what I feel if a car overtake me at the highway then slow down (like how drivers here always do)…but amazingly not. I’m really glad and happy that she’s going to settle down and somebody else will have to bear with her antics and not us siblings. ;P


But of course, all the makcik-makcik and pakcik-pakcik won’t leave me alone. It’s called society pressure. They belong to a different generation. Instead of upholding the “30’s is the new 20’s” motto, theirs is more to “if you’re not married by 25, you’re a spinster”. I haven’t reached the big three-zero, but I’m certainly past 25. ~Sigh.


Since my parents are inviting quite a number of guests for the engagement ceremony, I am expecting some people to ask me this question:


“Kamu ni bila lagi?”


My dad told me to answer it with “Belum jumpa jodoh”, but I don’t like that answer coz (a) it feels like self pity, which is not what I feel (b) it is not creative enough and (c) it invites a string of other related questions. So I decided to brainstorm for the suitable response to that question. Here are my best picks:


1. Pretend that I didn’t hear the question properly, answer with a polite “Huh, I beg your pardon?” then proceed with asking the person whether he/she has already eaten or not.


2. “Saya sedang menunggu Anuar Zain masuk meminang.” (Fatma, this happens to be my cousin’s favorite answer as well)


3. “Actually, I am the younger sister, my ‘kakak’ is the one getting engaged.” I think I can pull this off, no offense sis, u’re still cute though. **all innocent and starry eyed**


4. “I’m a cougar. My future life partner is still in high school.” Haha. Mesti mengucap panjang orang yang mendengar jawapan ini.


5. “I’m waiting for a guy who has good teeth, same sense of humor as mine, speaks good English, open minded, a good Muslim but not the super-alim one and his mother has to be a bit chubby and kind-hearted. Let me know if you know one.” Ini juga pasti mengundang cemuhan dari orang ramai. They’ll in turn say “Patutla”. But I’m not in love, what’s wrong with having these ideas? I know that when I fell in love, automatically I don’t really care about all these because love is blind. Tsk. Tsk.


6. Gather up a few friends and perform Michael Buble’s “I Just Haven’t Met You Yet” in front of the person who asked. GLEE –style.


7. A simple uncomplicated answer, “I’m enjoying my life. Rileksla makcik.”




However this is what I like best. I was talking to mommy dearest the other day…


Me: Mum, what will you say when people asked you WHY your eldest daughter is still single?


Mum: I’ll just say that you’re weird….oops, I mean, unique.




Thanks, Mum. I love you.

1 comment:

~Mommy ZuE~ said...

cud add dis one in d list tho "insyaAllah, doa2kan laa.." ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails