make my day :)

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Makan Apa?





A seemingly innoccent, yet, for me a tricky question to answer.

Ok, it has not always been tricky.

Before, I used to find it annoying.

Like, don't you have any better things to ask me? I do a lot of interesting things throughout the day, which can lead to more interesting conversations and yet you asked me "makan apa"?

Geeezz, I rather talk about the weather and other mundane things.




Yeah, I know I sound arrogant. But, it is one of my idiosyncrasies.

So, why is it annoying then, but tricky now?

Well, it really depends on the comfort level that you have with a person.




I can tell my family anything, but outside of that, it depends.

I like to overthink. By telling you what and where I eat, it kind of gives an insight to which tax bracket I belong to.

Of course I don't splurge everyday, but what kind of impression would it have made if that question was asked and I happen to be having an overpriced sandwich at a fancy establishment because my friend wants to buy me lunch in exchange of some travel tips? I'm a sucker for free meal? A snob?



I have a "no lies" policy, so some times I prefer to ignore the question and change the topic.

In the beginning, even my parents criticized me for paying more than RM10 for a cup of coffee. But since I'm not a coffee drinker and if I feel like it, I have the rights to have a good cuppa, right?




To keep the story short, eventually they came to terms that I also have the rights to treat them to some niceties.

Telling people you "makan apa" also provide an insight to your eating habits and how you are well on track on the morbid obesity route.

I had 2 red velvet cupcakes after dinner last night because somebody was being so sweet and baked them for me. I had the same cupcake from Bijoux for lunch the day before since we were celebrating a colleague's birthday.




If you ask me what I had for dinner and I said "ice cream", the next question should be "are u ok, u seem depressed, let's go and have more desserts" instead of "seriously, malam-malam makan macam ni?"

"Dah makan" is more appropriate than "makan apa"...it shows that you care about someone and you don't want them to starve. But if meleret until "makan apa", "dekat mana" dan "dengan siapa"....again it depends on the comfort level.




If the pattern repeats itself at every meal time of the day, I will begin to wander if my personality is making people bored. Trust me, I can talk until your ears and my ears come off IF I WANT to.

That said, I don’t mind those questions if they were asked with the intention of asking me out for food. I can always say yes or no.




In Miri, we lived by this motto - "Good food, good company (of friends), and good laugh" and that's what we did whenever we go out. It never stops with just one place...we'll go to a different place for seconds/desserts and perhaps a third one...and now that I'm in KL, I'm lucky to hang out with a group of people that have the same attitude as well.

Thus, it's embarassing to explain this behaviour to people who can't understand, when they asked "makan apa"?





In the end, maybe I'm the one who is not normal here, but hey, that's me.

Got it off my chest now. Nak kerja. #okbai


- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails