make my day :)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Self Help Books I Live By

Since Asians love disclaimers (where else in the world would they put a sign at the car park with "park at your own risk" and charge you for it? what if it's their own staffs who broke into your car? is it even legally binding?) so I'm putting a disclaimer here that I don't really live by what's preached in the books 100%, but I just find them practical and making sense to me better than the other best selling self help books out there.

BOOK 1


This is the very first self help book I ever bought back in 2007. It has a lot of practical tips in improving your communication skills. It helps in developing ease in social situations. Just to quote what's written from Amazon  website:

Leil Lowndes' How to Talk to Anyone offers 101 time-tested hints, tips, and techniques for confidently communicating with others. A bestselling author and renowned communications consultant, Lowndes focuses on ice-breaking skills and communication techniques that are proven successful when making a positive first impression, establishing instant rapport and credibility, and more.
Packed with basic, no-nonsense advice and solid research evidence about which techniques work best in which areas, How to Talk to Anyone show readers how to:
  1. Make small talk not so small
  2. Use body language to captivate an audience
  3. Look like you know what you're talking about--even when you don't
The book is easy and fun to read. There's also a section on how to talk to your loved ones, which I didn't really finish, hence explaining why I'm such a failure so far. ;P

BOOK 2


The Law of Attraction is a metaphysical New Thought belief that "like attracts like”, that positive and negative thinking bring about positive and negative physical results, respectively. According to the Law of Attraction, the phrase "I need more money" allows the subject to continue to "need more money". If the subject wants to change this they would focus their thoughts on the goal (having more money) rather than the problem (needing more money). This might take the form of phrases such as "I will make more money" or "I will find a job that pays very well". (from Wikipedia)

This book is all about positive thinking. You're not even supposed to write about that guy from hell that you went on a blind date with in your secret, personal diary. But of course, once in a while, you can't help but whine about it. I would suggest to go talk about it to a friend/confidante rather than writing it down. That way, you don't have a lingering written reminder of that negative thing.

BOOK 3


Who else but the guru himself? I love reading his books, but you have to be in a certain state of mind to read and absorb every word as it is not exactly leisure reading. So, I bought this book instead. If I'm in need of some inspirations, I will just flip the pages to look for a relevant one. For how I'm feeling right now, it would be:

"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."  - The Alchemist

"Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own."  - The Alchemist

"When someone leaves, it's because someone else is about to arrive." - The Zahir

"There are moments when troubles enter our lives and we can do nothing to avoid them. 
But they are there for a reason. Only when we have overcome them will we understand why they were there."  - The Fifth Mountain

"if pain must come, may it come quickly. because i have a life to live, and i need to live it in the best possible. if he has to make a choice, may he make it now. then i will either wait for him or forget him. waiting is painful. forgetting is painful. but not knowing which to do is the worst kind of suffering." 

Alright, I'm beginning to sound like an old maid already...actually I have a lot of other self help books on the shelves, but these three are the ones that I really love. Maybe next time I should blog about self help books that doesn't really help. Till then, oh-I-really-need-to-shower-and-sleep. Good nite!!

P/S: Going house hunting on Saturday, yeay!



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails